Friday, October 21, 2011

What Do I Do If....

This post is similar to an FAQ post.

Basically, we receive several questions a week about various curiousities, general questions, and problems.

The bottom line of this post is given to you now: Call us to schedule an annual cleaning and 20-point safety inspection of your chimney/ fireplace ASAP. All of these questions can be answered after we've cleaned and inspected your chimney/ fireplace.

What Do I Do If.....

....I notice some crystalization on my chimney?

That's called efflorescence. It's an indication that water is somehow intruding on the structural integrity of your chimney. It needs to be taken care of right away, especially before the winter comes on strong. If it's not taken care of in a timely manner, it can lead to deterioration of your masonry. We can schedule a free estimate for you if you're noticing crystalization, and we'll be able to tell you specifically how to fix it, what it will take, and how much it will cost.

....I see smoke coming into my home when I light a fire?

That could be a number of things, or a combination or problems. A possibility is that the top mount damper isn't open. Another answer could be that there is a clog somewhere. The only way to really know for sure and have it fixed accurately is to schedule an appointment for a cleaning & inspection and we'll give you a free estimate of repairs to solve the problem(s).

....I want to light a fire, but I haven't had my chimney/ fireplace cleaned and inspected this year?

It's really not a safe choice to make. We recommend an annual cleaning and inspection for any chimney/ fireplace/ insert. You never know when something could sneak up on you - like creosote - and start a fire you don't want, or damage your masonry work.

.....I see moss on the outside of my chimney?

It's probably a result of moisture, and a lack of protection (sealant) on your chimney. That can easily be cleaned by us, and we can seal the chimney for you as well.


.....I'm pretty sure we've had a chimney fire recently, but how do I know for sure?

The long and short of it is to have us come do a cleaning & inspection for you. We'll be able to tell you if there's been a chimney fire, and what needs to be done to fix the problem(s).


Call Powers Chimney & Masonry, LLC today to schedule your annual cleaning and inspection. (360) 691-9828

No comments:

Post a Comment