For today's post, I decided to include some Frequently Asked Questions regarding the cold season - which is coming on hard and strong.
Below are some common questions relating to chimneys, fireplaces, moisture, cold weather, etc., and my answers to them. I hope this helps shed some light on what you can do during the month of October to protect your home, and keep warm!
1) "I just had my chimney swept and inspected last year. Do I need to do it again this year?"
- Absolutely. Even if you didn't use your fireplace often, you never know when creosote could be forming, or moisture could be seeping in through your masonry work on the outside of your chimney. Basically, this is a safety precaution. Before you use your fireplace for the first time this season, you want to make sure it's in proper working order.
2) "Why is autumn a good time to get my chimney cleaned?"
- Excellent question! When it comes down to it, we generally don't use our fireplaces/ chimneys during the spring and summer months. After our heating source has sat dormant for a year, it's necessary to have it cleaned and inspected prior to use. Since this is the time of year that our fireplaces and chimneys get the most use, it makes sense to have the cleaning and inspection done now.
3) "I know my crown needs to be replaced, but how long can it last before I absolutely have to do it?"
- The function of a chimney cap is essentially to protect the structural integrity of a chimney. There really is no telling how long a crown can last, especially having the knowledge that it needs to be replaced. To be safe, I'd recommend doing it ASAP if you know it needs to be replaced.
4) "I know your company does cleanings & inspections, but what exactly does the inspection include?"
- Another great question. Here at Powers Chimney & Masonry, LLC, we perform a 20-point Safety Inspection. This includes 4 sections: Fireplace, Chimney, Wood stove and Other Fire Safety. Everything from the ash container and damper to flue tiles and flashing, from brickwork to stove pipe condition and smoke detectors is checked. Also, currently we're running a special on this inspection: When you schedule any cleaning, we'll do this safety inspection for free (a $50 value).
5) "What do I do if I've already used my fireplace/ chimney this season, and I haven't had it cleaned yet?"- Not a big deal. We can still come out and clean and inspect it for you. This is the time of year when moisture can sneak in and cause structural damage to your chimney, which we want to prevent. We'll be able to tell you if your chimney and/ or fireplace needs any work, and can provide you with an estimate of any work that needs to be done.
Bottom line: Don't let the cold season sneak up on you. Call us today to schedule an appointment for a cleaning and inspection! (360) 691-9828