April showers may bring May flowers, but they can also bring mold, fungus, and weather damage to your home. Considering a home improvement project like patio work or installing stonework for a BBQ? Then masonry is the way to go.
What is Masonry?Masonry refers to building structures from individual segments, often made of stone or concrete mixtures, that are held together by mortar. Building with masonry has been historically popular because of its strength and durability. In fact, some masonry benefits include:
- Fire resistance: All materials are non-combustible
- Weather resistance: Mortar holds exterior walls together meaning they will hold up during severe weather and under harsh conditions.
- Termite resistance: Masonry provides no wood for termites to eat.
- Protection from rotting, mold, and fungus: With no wood there is no chance of rot and the likelihood of fungus and mold growth decreases dramatically.
- Lower utility bills: The concrete block and mortar combinations plus “thermal mass” insulation involved in masonry help keep your home cool during the summer and warm during the winter.
Best of all, building with masonry can lower insurance premiums, it's environmentally friendly, and it can increase resale value! Why build any other way?