Tuesday, September 6, 2011

30-Day Anniversary and questions from YOU!

As of the start of this week, this is my (Kimi's) 30-day anniversary with Powers Chimney & Masonry.

I just wanted to take a couple minutes and write about my experience here. (This will be a little more of a personal blog post than anything.)

My first day here was a bit different than any of the other days I've come in to work. I was on the road with Steve, the General Manager for most of the day. We were doing everything from errands to checking on the guys in the field to make sure they had what they needed. That first day was also unique because I worked a full 8-hour day (I'm generally only in the office from 8am to noon). It was a lot of fun, and I ended up learning so much in that one day!

As the weeks have gone on, I've gained a sense of what happens on a day-to-day basis around here. The flow of the day has become more natural to me, and I'm not as nervous about my participation in the work load, either. It's almost become second-nature to walk in on any given day and know what needs to be accomplished. As with any job, I generally check with my superiors (the GM and owner) to make sure I'm doing everything that needs to be done, and asking for anything more that we can do in a day. But for my part here, I have a to-do list for every single day of the week. (Those of you who know me personally probably understand the concept of my list-making a little more than someone who's unfamiliar to me).

Generally speaking, nothing ever goes 100% according to plan. I always have to be on my toes, and not plan for things going in a straight path, but instead I have to have a backup plan, as well as information to support the plan. For instance, I could be in the middle of AP/AR tasks, and I could get 3 phone calls in the middle of it, have a question from one of our crews in the field, and end up taking an hour up dealing with the immediate tasks at hand before I can tend to what I started with. That's a typical day!

My responsibilities here are widely spread, and include everything from paying bills to marketing ventures. I'm enjoying the research I'm doing for all aspects of my position, and I love putting it into action. I'm very much enjoying myself here at Powers Chimney & Masonry, and I love the crew and office staff!

Some things I've learned in the past 4 weeks:
* Things aren't always what they seem. Always dig for more information.
* It's much easier to go with the flow while having a plan as a goal, than focusing solely on that plan.
* Always be ready for anything.
* Research is beneficial in all aspects of my job.

That's me and my hubby, Robert in Maui in 2010. :)
Anyway, those are just a few notes about my time here so far, and I hope to get the opportunity to answer any questions you might have for me! If you have a question you'd like me to answer personally, just leave a comment on this blog, and I'd love to see what you're curious about and answer you!

No comments:

Post a Comment